segunda-feira, março 05, 2012

I still read a lot  of history, and of course I’ve followed all the official history that’s happened in my own lifetime – the fall of Communism, Mrs Thatcher, 9/11 global warming – with the normal mixture of fear, anxiety and cautious optimism. But I’ve never felt the same about it – I’ve never quite trusted it – as I do events in Greece and Romeo r the British Empire, or the Russian Revolution. Perhaps I just feel safer with the history that’s been more or less agreed upon. Or perhaps it’s that same paradox again: the history that happens underneath our noses ought to be the clearest, and yet it’s the most deliquescente. We live in time, it bounds us and defines us, and time is supposed to measure history, isn’t it? But if we can’t understand time, can’t grasp its mysteries of pace and progress, what chance do we have with history – even our own small, personal, largely undocumented piece of it? 

Julian Barnes in The sense of an ending (ganhador do Man Booker Prize 2011) em breve sai pela Rocco e é, para mim, um dos livros mais comoventes dos últimos tempos. 

Nenhum comentário: